Article 38 – Codes of conduct
1. The Member States, the supervisory authorities and the Commission shall encourage the drawing up of codes of conduct intended to contribute to the proper application of this Regulation, taking account of the specific features of the various data processing sectors, in particular in relation to:
2. Associations and other bodies representing categories of controllers or processors in one Member State which intend to draw up codes of conduct or to amend or extend existing codes of conduct may submit them to an opinion of the supervisory authority in that Member State. The supervisory authority may give an opinion whether the draft code of conduct or the amendment is in compliance with this Regulation. The supervisory authority shall seek the views of data subjects or their representatives on these drafts.
3. Associations and other bodies representing categories of controllers in several Member States may submit draft codes of conduct and amendments or extensions to existing codes of conduct to the Commission.
4. The Commission may adopt implementing acts for deciding that the codes of conduct and amendments or extensions to existing codes of conduct submitted to it pursuant to paragraph 3 have general validity within the Union. Those implementing acts shall be adopted in accordance with the examination procedure set out in Article 87(2).
5. The Commission shall ensure appropriate publicity for the codes which have been decided as having general validity in accordance with paragraph 4.